A neat way to add sequential numbers to a contact field, starting and ending with a number provided by you. This will make sure for example, that every giro number in print is always a different one to avoid any conflicts. Before we continue, we have to mention a super-serious note:
Note: You cannot import sequence numbers or add them manually in the Contacts app. Use the Update Contact block in Flow to set sequence numbers on a contact level.
In other less-greenish words - only the Update contacts block can add sequence numbers to contacts.
To make the sequence-number field:
- Go to the Contacts app.
- Click Manage fields.
- Click Add new field and set its input to sequence-number.
- The Numbers from field has to start from at least 1.
- The To number is optional. If left blank, the sequence numbers will continually increase.
- Click Add when the field looks good enough.
Now that you have the field all ready to be used, we need to add it to an Update Contact block:
- In a Flow, drag & drop the Update contact block.
- In its settings, set Update contact field and select the sequence-number field you just created.
- Connect it to other blocks.
When the contacts in this Flow reach this block - they will be added a sequence number in their sequence-numbered field you selected. Back to the field in the Manage fields in Contacts, you can see which number is currently the Last used one.
Tip: If for example you have the numbers from 1 to 50, but you send to 100 contacts - after the number 50, they will again start from number 1.