By providing personalized content, you harness a powerful technique for reaching your customers. The days of 'Dear Madam/Sir' are over, and the key in marketing nowadays is personalization!
Loopify offers you an option to insert variables in your communication and personalization on another level! 🧐
What are variables?
Variables are used as data holders. We can store the personal contact information in them, so once you send a communication with inserted variables Loopify will take the value and convert it. For example, you can write 'Hello [First Name]!' and when the 'first name' variable is converted it will be 'Hello John!' And you can do this for multiple contacts at once, no need to create the same email, and do all the manual work.
How to insert a variable?
- Open your template or campaign.
- Click anywhere in the text where you wish to add the variable.
- A small menu will appear where you can click the variable icon .
- When the variables window pops up, select which contact field you wish to insert. The contact fields listed here include the basic fields from the Contacts app as well as the custom fields that you have created. If you want to dig deeper into custom fields you can read Manage fields article to understand.
When you send the campaign, the variables automatically fill in for the selected contact field of each contact receiving the campaign.
Tip: In an email campaign, you can also add variables to the subject line!
Use a date variable
To add a date variable first, you'll need to add a date custom field from the manage fields.
- When the variable window pops up select the date field you wish to insert.
- Set a date format, and the date will be displayed as the chosen format. If you don't choose a preferred date format, then the date will be displayed as a default format: MM/dd/yyyy.
- You can also add a custom date format, from the date format drop-down menu choose 'Custom format'.
- When you are all set with the desired format, choose your language.
If the date format contains 'MM' then it's a number from 1 to 12 months, if however, the date format includes 'MMMM' then it's a word. If you choose a date format that contains a word, then select a language that you prefer, and the word will be displayed in the selected language.
For example, if you choose a date format: MMMM d. yyyy and language English, then the date will be displayed: May 04. 2019.
If you don't pick a language, then the date will be displayed as a default in English.
You can insert a mobile variable in every communication app, but you can also choose a mobile format. We have four types of moble formats:
- Plaintext including country code (ex: +449876123456),
- Plaintext excluding country code (ex: 9876123456),
- International conversion including country code (ex: +44 9876 123456), and
- National convention including country code (ex: 09876 123456).
This will give you control over how the mobile number appears in your campaign! Choose the format that fits you best!
Note: Keep in mind that if contacts have an empty date field, they will receive the campaign with a blank date field!
There is more to variables!
Did you know that you can also make links personal, with only one campaign? If not, check out how to use variables in custom links in an effective way!
Now, just like in all communication apps you can add variables in other places too. For example, you can add variables in the Send Alert block, so you can make the alert message specific about specific contacts!
We know that personalization matters, and we like to take it even further! We also have Global account variables, where you can create them once and use them everywhere in your communication. Saves you some extra steps!
But we also have one more thing under our sleeves! If you wish to level up a little bit with the personalization, you can check out our Collection of variables! Their main goal is automatized personalization, where basically you click one button and you send 1000 different email variants!
And doesn't stop there! Since we are on the collection of variables subject, you can use them to even add Personalized newsletter senders! Now, this takes you to the next level of personalization! 😎
Note: If you for example add some global variables or variable collection, once you open the variables window, you'll notice a drop-down menu at the top, from there you can choose the type of variables you want to insert in your communication.
Tip: Remember to always add a Fallback text when using variables! If for some reason the contact field is empty, and the variable has no value to convert, the fallback text will make sure that you don't have blank spots in your communication!
You did it, It was a piece of cake! 🍰 Now that you know how important are variables in Loopify and you are interested in personalizing your communication, go ahead and add some variables!