Variables are a big part of the email realm. You can add variables both in the email template and in the campaign. The same steps apply.
Variables in text
Customize the text in a module and make the email more personal by adding variables.
- Click a module or field that contains text to add variables.
- Click anywhere in the text where you wish to add the variable. Then, click the variable icon.
A new window pops up.
- First, select which contact field you wish to insert. The contact fields listed here include the basic fields from the Contacts app as well as the custom fields that you have created. You say what? We say read Manage fields to understand.
- Write what should the field include, in case the specific field is empty for some of the selected contacts who are going to receive the campaign. Click OK.
When you send the campaign, the variables automatically fill in for the selected contact field of each contact receiving the campaign.
Tip: In the email campaign, you can also add variables to the subject line.
Variables in custom link
There is also another option to insert variables in links, specifically custom links. You can read more about how to add links.
- Click the link icon.
A new window pops up. Follow these steps to fill in the data.
- Write the link text that will be clickable and leads to the URL.
- Choose Custom link (not validated) from the drop-down menu.
- Type the link URL and insert the variable. This creates a custom link for each contact, meaning that the link will be different for each contact depending on the chosen variable.
- Next, click the Advanced options and add a Tooltip text. You can change the value of the pre-set email tracking variables here as well. Or learn more about the Email settings.
- When you are done, click Use.
Note: The tooltip text does not work for all email clients!
Use a date variable
To add a date variable first, you'll need to add a date custom field from the manage fields.
- When the variable window pops up select the date field you wish to insert.
- Set a date format, and the date will be displayed as the chosen format. If you don't choose a preferred date format, then the date will be displayed as a default format: MM/dd/yyyy.
- You can also add a custom date format, from the date format drop-down menu choose 'Custom format'.
- When you are all set with the desired format, choose your language.
If the date format contains 'MM' then it's a number from 1 to 12 months, if however, the date format includes 'MMMM' then it's a word. If you choose a date format that contains a word, then select a language that you prefer, and the word will be displayed in the selected language.
For example, if you choose a date format: MMMM d. yyyy and language English, then the date will be displayed: May 04. 2019.
If you don't pick a language, then the date will be displayed as a default in English.
Note: Keep in mind that if contacts have an empty date field, they will receive the campaign with a blank date field!
You did it! It was a piece of cake! If you wish you can read our related articles, but no pressure.