So many ways to add contacts to your Flow campaign. File import is one of them. It's so easy.
- From the Flow block library, drag & drop the File import block to the Flow canvas.
- Hover over the block to see the settings and delete button.
- Click on the settings button.
Note: The URL setting is required.
File import settings
- Copy the Dropbox or Google Drive URL of your file.
- Type in the password or username if the link is password protected with a username, otherwise, leave them blank.
- You'll see a mapping missing note. Click Manage field mapping to start mapping.
- If the first row of the table in your file shows the names of the different columns, select the first option and click Next step.
- Map the fields from your file to the Loopify contact fields. You can choose to Ignore a specific field or +Add as a new campaign field. This means that this field will be created not as a contact field, but as a field-specific for this campaign.
- Click OK to finish the mapping process.
- Connect the File import block with any communication block Email, SMS or Print.
Note 1: For the Dropbox URL to work, you need to type 1 instead of 0 at the end of your URL. You just swap dl=0 with dl=1. You force the Dropbox link to download.
Note 2: The imported data must define valid Loopify contacts. A valid Loopify contact must include – at minimum – one of three unique identifiers. These identifiers are the contact fields External ID, Mobile and Email.
Note 3: When importing contacts with international mobile numbers, the numbers need to be written with a leading '+' instead of '00'.
Trigger File import
After you map your fields, the next step is triggering the File import block so the campaign can start. The campaign can't start without triggering the File import block. Make sure your campaign is ready.
You'll see a toggle and two buttons. That means there are three ways to trigger the File import:
- Turning the toggle ON and then activating your flow.
or using the two buttons:
- Copy API URL - will copy the endpoint URL and with it, you can trigger the import at a moment of your choice.
- Run Import - will simply run the import after your Flow is live.
Some more details:
Import file on Flow activation (toggle ON)
If the toggle is turned on (will become green), it means that the import will be triggered as soon as the flow goes live. This also includes all the repeat processes you might have scheduled. Every repeat will trigger the import.
If the toggle is turned off (grey), the import will not be triggered when going live. If you start your flow like this, you'll see that the Run Import button will become clickable.
Copy API URL
This button will copy the full URL to our API endpoint that triggers the import. You can use this URL whenever you see fit. As soon as this endpoint is hit, manually or with a script - the import will be triggered and the contacts will start receiving communication.
It does not get any simpler. Clicking this button while your Flow is live will simply trigger the import process and your contacts will receive the communication in line.
Note: If you deactivate or freeze the flow campaign you can't trigger the File import block.
Advanced segment synchronization
If you wish to add your imported contacts to one of your segments, you can do that!
Enter the Import File Block settings and click Advanced segment synchronization. When the new window pops up, select the wanted segment from the drop-down menu. All of your imported contacts will be added to the selected segment
If you want to clear the selected segment simply turn the toggle ON.
🚨Very important note🚨: If you turn the toggle ON, all of your other contacts form the selected segment will be removed but not deleted if they are not in the file. Please use with caution.
If you wish to learn more about the importing and updating segments through the file import block, go ahead and read the Import and update segment values through the API and File Import block article.
Automize a daily/weekly/monthly import
You can easily set up a File import block to check for the latest uploaded file (list of contacts) and send communication to it. If you have a new list of contacts that is updated daily, there is no need to manually update your flow on a daily level with the latest contacts.
Things you'll need:
- A Flow set to repeat daily/weekly/monthly/yearly (wow!)
- A hosting place where you (will) have your uploaded file
- A specific name of the uploaded file with the today's date
Things you'll need to do:
- Add the file import block and the link to the file location
- Make sure that your file is named with the today's date, in the following format: YYYYMMDD
- Example name: Contactfile20181231.csv
- Example link: ftp://loopify.exavault.com/Contactfile__TODAY__.csv
- Click Manage field mapping and map your fields.
- Toggle on the Import file on Flow activation/repeat, to have a fully automated workflow.
- Activate the flow with a repeated status.
Here's what will happen. If the Flow's repeated status is daily, on Flow activation, the File Import block will daily check at the specified location (in the URL) for a file that is named with the today's date. If we activate it on 29.12.2018, it will check for a file named "FileName20181229". If there is a hosted file like this, it will send communication to it. The next day (30.12.2018), it will check for a file named "FileName20181230". If there is a file, it will send communication to contacts in that file and so on.
Note: If there is no file for a specific day, the communication will skip that day, and continue the process the next day.
All this means that with just a single Flow activation, you can automize a sending process on a daily/weekly/monthly level. No daily editing needed!
That's all about File import, but there is still more to learn. Quench your thirst for knowledge by reading our other Flow articles. Like the ones about the Communication blocks or Timing & Split. Or both. Your choice.