Contact data and the Campaign events are sorted into two groups of data. These groups are the brain of the smart segments, therefore we call them smart (not 'regular' segments). Groups can make one very, very specific Smart Segment, which will make sure that only the right contacts receive the right info. Or, maybe you just want to export that extra-specific list of contacts.
Let's find out what this smartness is all about.
Group with Contact data
Contact data is the data from Loopify contacts (contact's names, emails, mobiles, city, addresses, etc.) and the data from custom campaign fields specifically made within a certain campaign. These campaign fields are not visible in the contact card of any contact.
In the first drop-down you can choose between contact values and campaign values:
- Contact values will list data from all the default and custom Loopify fields. To smoothen the search process, these fields are divided per type: Default fields, Segments, Additional fields (custom) and Consent. Find the one you need and create your smart segment condition.
- Campaign values will list data about fields that are not created in the Contacts app, but in a campaign. These are more unique fields, as they are not part of every Loopify contact, but only from the contacts that are part of that campaign.
- Example: you have a Loopify page with a submittable form. The form is a dinner invitation and you have included a campaign field called Color of clothes. The attendees can submit their desired color and you will get that info. BUT, you wouldn't want "Color of clothes" to be a field of every single Loopify contact, because you need it only for this campaign. Therefore, when you have the info, you can create a smart segment with this specific campaign field, and find out exactly who will wear red on your dinner!
Note: You can add as many groups with Contact data as you like.
and why not a Tip as well:
Tip: Two or more groups can be linked with or/and. When you use and to link the groups, it means that the contacts in the segment should match the criteria from all of the groups. Linking the groups with or means the contacts should match the criteria from some of the segment groups.
Group with Campaign events
Campaign events are basically events that are happening across campaigns: a contact opens an email, clicks on a button in it, submits a page form, unsubscribes via SMS, etc. The data in this group is divided per app, which makes finding the event you need easier.
- From the first drop-down menu select an app (optional) and then the campaign event you're interested in.
- From the second drop-down menu choose the name of the campaign you want to use in the smart segment.
- If the event in your first drop-down menu is related with links (has clicked), a third menu will appear, letting you select which link from the campaign you want to be checked.
- Contact data and Campaign events are connected with keep or exclude. 'Keep' will include contacts with the campaign event we just specified, 'exclude' will exclude them from your Smart Segment. It's like "who has opened the email" vs "who has not opened the email". Sweet!
Note: You can only add one group with Campaign events, but multiple criteria using the + sign.
- Save & Close the smart one when it is ready. The newly created smart segment will be shown in your list of smart segments.
Wow! Now, what about that? Experiment with these Smart Segments and organize contacts in the most specific ways. Check out a few examples of how they can be used.