It's time to take your segments to the next level and make them super smart. Add Smart segments to your Contacts to easily divide them into groups for better and easier communication.
- Go to the Contacts app.
- Click on the Add smart segment button. A new window pops up.
- Give your Smart segment a name.
- By default, you have one Contact Data group. You can add a new group of Contact data, Campaign data or Custom events.
- If you add more Contact Data groups, you can connect them with and/or. "And" means conditions in both groups have to be met, "or" means the conditions from either one group have to be met.
- If you add a new group of Campaign Data or Custom Events, you'll see the connection as Keep and Exclude. "Keep" means it'll show contacts that match the Contact Data and the listed Campaign Data/Custom Event. "Exclude" means it'll show contacts that match the Contact Data, but not the Campaign Data/Custom Event. You can read more about the connections within Smart Segments.
- Click on the first default drop-down menu to see the contact field values. Select the contact field you need in segmenting the contacts.
- From the second drop-down menu, choose which condition should be met.
- Write the value in the empty field. Or if it's a tag value, select the one you need.
- Add new criteria or add a new group if you want to make this smart segment as specific as you need it.
- Click Save & Close when you are done.
Tip: Is equal to means that the selected variable should be the exactly written value. For example, 'City is equal to York' will include only the city York and not New York. Contains means that the selected variable should contain that value. For example, City - contains - York will include both York and New York.
Smart Segment Folders
Smart segments can also be part of a folder. This will not affect sending, only structuralize them better. Click 'edit' on a smart segment to add it to a folder.
The gear button next to the name 'Smart Segment' will open a section where you can add, edit, move or delete folders.
Tip: The same folder settings can be accessed from Settings > Contacts > Manage your smart segments.
Note: The matches variable uses regular expressions ("regex") as values. A regex consists of a search pattern and modifiers, and it is used for matching one or more characters within a string. We use the PCRE library to do the search. This heavily affects the patterns and modifiers you can use.
That's it! You have created your new Smart segment which will appear in your list of Smart segments. Now use it in your campaigns to send these customers communication which is in their interest.