Our smart segments allow you to sort your contacts into meaningful groups so that you can bring out more effective marketing. But did you know they can also work as quick reports? I bet you didn't, but you will love them no doubt. 😍
Before we start, make sure you are properly introduced to our Smart segments.
Let us dive in now!
Event data are events that are happening in campaigns - a contact opens an email, visits a page, clicks on a link, submits a form, unsubscribes etc. So what does it mean to create a smart segment based on event data? It means that you can measure any event and quickly sort out your contacts based on all these types of events.
- In the Contacts app, under smart segments click the +New segment button.
- After naming your new smart segment click Add new group with event data +
- Choose if the contacts will be matching some or all of the following criteria.
- Click on the first drop-down menu to preview all campaign events. From here, you can search, type for the needed event or sort the search by apps (this is optional).
- After choosing the campaign event, from the second drop-down menu choose the criteria type. You can filter the criteria by choosing if the campaign is used in flow or not used in flow. Now, select your campaign, they are all nicely listed with their campaign names.
- If you choose the campaign event has clicked on email/pages/SMS a third drop-down menu will appear enabling you to choose which link would you like checked.
- By default, the option is set to Any link, meaning the segment will list contacts that had clicked on any link from the campaign in question.
- If you have many links in your campaign, then you can go more specific and click on the third drop-down menu and click Select a link. The selected campaign will appear in a new window and all links will be presented with dotted squares. Simply click on any link and save the changes.
- After you click save, you can see the actual link in the third drop-down menu, and you can view or change the link to another one.
- When you are done click Save & close
- If you click now on the newly created smart segment, depending on your segmentation contacts matching the criteria will be listed!
Tip: Using the has unsubscribed event, you can find if you have any unsubscribers from the selected campaign. With the has filed a form, you can find out exactly who has submitted that lovely form you made!
All excited to try the event data in smart segments? 🤩 Thought so, here with the help of our example you can test how they work, and then use them in an actual customer-campaign!
- Send a test email campaign to your colleagues.
- Then, create a smart-segment and name your segment. Add a new group with event data, and choose all of the contacts to match the selected criteria.
- Set the criteria to all those who have opened the email.
- Add a new group with contact and campaign data.
- Choose and/all of the following criteria to match the contacts.
- From the first drop-down menu, choose the contact value: Email.
- From the second drop-down menu, choose contains, and fill in the last empty field with your email domain (ex. @loopify).
Save the smart segment, find it in your smart-segment list and click on your new segment. Your smart segment will show how many of your contacts opened the email with that specific domain!
Easy!😃 Now go ahead and read our smart segment examples and get creative!