Adding an extra step to the email subscription opt-in process will help you ensure that you are only sending emails to the people that genuinely want your communication. This way, your subscribers will verify and confirm their interests, and indeed, it's the best practice in email marketing. Our flow campaign will make it easy to complete a double opt-in when a person subscribes to your email list via a form.
- When using Loopify pages, you can set the page restrictions to Totally open for the sign-up form.
#2 Connect your form with the Contact match block, the connection type should be onFormSubmit.
- From the block's the settings you check if the contact matches a segment, and choose your segment. The segment must be previously created and intended only for the contacts that have double opt-in.
This way, when a person submits your form, the automation will check if the person is a part of your segment or not, meaning, the block will check if the contact has a double opt-in or not.
#3 Now pick two email blocks and connect the first email block with the contact match block with a connection type: Yes. And the other email block with a connection type: No.
- For the contacts that already have double opt-in send them an email informing them that they are already subscribed. This is the email with a connection type: Yes.
- For the contacts that are subscribing for the first time send them another email that contains a link to confirm their subscription. This is the email with the connection type: No.
#4 Let's focus on the email with the confirmation link. You can use the page block where you can include a short form, and link the page with your email. This would be a great opportunity to send your subscribers a 'Thank you' note for subscribing and ask them to submit the form to confirm their subscription.
- You can set the page restrictions to personal link so that the page will be accessible only for the people who received the confirmation email.
Marketing Pro tip: The longer the form the smaller are the chances to be filled out, keep the form short and sweet. People don’t like giving out a lot of information. Just focus on what you really need to get out of people filling out this form. Don’t ask for something unless you really need it. 🧐
#5 Connect your page form with a connection type: onFormSubmit to the Update contact block, from where you can add the contacts to your double opt-in segment.
- The Update contact block will add your subscribers to the chosen segment ideally, after they confirmed their subscription or double opted-in.
Note: If the contacts didn't confirm the subscription, they won't be a part of the segment. No further communication should be sent to these contacts.
#6 In Addition to the double opt-in flow campaign you could:
- Connect a Wait block to the confirmation email with a connection type: on Send. Set the Wait block settings to Delay type -> Days, and decide how many days before checking if the contacts are a part of your segment.
- Connect the Wait block with a Contact match block, to check if the contacts are a part of your segment.
- Connect the Contact match block with an Email block, with connection type: No.
- If the contacts are not part of your segment, then they are still not double opted-in, now you can ask them if they want to confirm the subscription or receive no communication at all.
And that's all! Now you can have a clean list of contacts that verified their interest in your newsletter! 😌